Monday, July 05, 2004

Well as Ian said last night I went to bed about 5.30 and woke up around 8. I felt awful and still do. I have taken the day off work. I felt rough yesterday morning but as the race is only on for one day and I was really looking forward to it, and I still did it. Looking back it was possibly a bad thing to do, but at least I did it and raised some money.
So - where to start. We had to be at the course an hour before the race so 10 o'clock, the race was late starting due to a problem with the car parks, there were over 3,800 women racing.
I met up with Laura my niece and just waited. Matthew was so bored as there was a lot of waiting. Finally we had our warm up then we were asked to go to the starting points. It took us at least 15-20 mins to get to the start, as we waited people were going on stage and saying why they were doing the race. One woman really got to me and made me glad I had made the effort - her daughter had died from cancer 3 months ago and the woman was running the race in memory of her. As I went around the course I started looking at all the pink posters on peoples backs (you put them on your back and either wrote who you were running in memory of or what your reason for doing it was) it hit home to me how many people cancer has affected. I am glad I was a part of it and will be doing it again next year.
I crossed the finish line in 1 hour 2 minutes. I am very pleased with this as I have never done anything like this before. Ian is going to help me put some photos up - watch this space !

No comments: