Thursday, January 13, 2005

Early last year I said hello to a new couple who moved into our close. Little did I know that less than a year later I would be hiding from their sister in my own home !

It's not that bad really. When they moved in the lady (L for short) was very heavily pregnant, and over the months we became friends. They are both from Nigeria and we both enjoy learning things about each others cultures. Several months back L's mother-in-law came to stay for 6 months to look after the baby. I would always say hello and try to make some attempt to communicate when I saw her outside with the baby. It usually ended with us both smiling politely at each other. As our understanding of each other got better we enjoyed our chats, the 6 months went very fast and we said our goodbyes.

Not long after that, L's sister came to stay for 6 months - we smiled at each other and L would interpret for us both. To cut a very long story short, last week just as I got in from work, still had my coat on the doorbell went. It was L's sister and the baby. She just walked in and said hello, then told me that L had said she should come and visit me - so she did! L is at work for most of the day so her sister is at home all day with the baby and they don't go out - she says its much too cold. She stayed for an hour and then went home saying she would see me tomorrow. Well she did, only this time she waited until Matthew was home from school so she could see him. Don't get me wrong I like talking to her but she makes me feel uncomfortable in my own home. She is always asking to help with house work or if any jobs need doing then tells me that at home friends help each other. It has got to the point that two days this week I actually came in and closed the blinds so I could avoid her. I feel awful doing it, but feel worse saying 'don't come and visit'. I feel sorry for her I would want company if I was on my own every day. But I don't want to see her every day.

Thats enough about that - what else has happened this week...
Ian moved offices, and as a result of that had to spend lots of extra time at work so we didn't see each other that much last weekend. On the Sunday I took the kids to see him so they could see his new office. I have to say it is very nice, the kids loved the fountains in the carpark. All is back to normal now.
As we didn't see each other much and as a thankyou Ian has booked me a mud wrap treatment for tomorrow and I am going shopping on my own for clothes for me. So I think I will have a very nice weekend.

Matthew had his first and last Karate lesson on Monday night. When we were there he seemed to be quite happy and even told the instructor he wanted to come back. Once we got home he changed his mind and asked if he could never go back. Not sure how to play this one - do we be the evil parents and make him do it or respect his wishes and stop going. Hmmm tough one.

No comments: