Wednesday, September 29, 2004

On Monday morning Matthew was watching TV before we went to school, whilst I was getting washed and dressed. As I came out off the bathroom he came running upstairs crying. Once I had calmed him down he told me "its just not fair mum, the poor children should have clean water to drink and not have to worry if they will die." I'm sorry, what, where has this come from? He is 6 years old - a child he should not be burdened with such worries. It became apparent that it came from an advert on a child's TV channel. I know there may be some of you reading this, thinking 'well he was watching it unsupervised', but you cant be with them all of the time. Matthew then went on to say"If it makes any difference he will sell his action men and give the money to the poor children". It has really got to him. I personally think it is awful that such adverts are allowed on children's channels.
Its three days on now and Matthew still gets very tearful if he thinks about the advert. Ian and I have had a long talk to him and have decided to look into some sort of donation.
I know we cant wrap them up in cotton wool but there are some things that I believe should be shielded from them.

No comments: